27 Aug History
Marina county has a rich history. In the area of today’s Marine, lived the ancient tribe of Bulin, the ancient Greeks, then Hilin (Greek colonizers who were assimilated with Bulin), followed by Romans, in the ancient ages, and at the beginning of the 7th century Croats came to this region. Under the name Bosiljina it is mentioned in 1070 as part of the Trogir municipality. It was the seat of Drida, an old Croatian parish. The settlement was planned in the 16th century AD. 1495 – 1500. Trogir bishops (Franjo Maracel) on the islet in the bay raised the square tower (burial tower, bishop’s tower) with cantilevered crown and citadel (the channel between the mainland and the tower was sealed in the early 20th century), to defend this area (the mansion of the Troy Bishop) from the Ottoman invaders. Around the Citadel was later built a rampart. The surrounding inhabitants settled in this neighborhood, who called their Marina a new settlement, and spread to the whole territory of Bosiljina, so they had two names, officially Bosiljina and Marina. The name of Bosiljina is not used since World War I.
Discover our heritage
MARINA Tourist board cultural and history heritage sites
The parochial church of St. James was built after the castle and citadel (Tower), in the shape of a Latin cross with two side-chapels. It was built in the 16th century, after the danger of Turkish invaders had passed. The church was originally built in the Renaissance style, and it functions both as a parish and a sepulchral church with gravesites. Today’s church interior is dominated by sumptuous baroque altars.
Holy mass is held each Sundays at 10 a.m., and during the week at 6 p.m. (in winter at 4 p.m.) The parish’s founding day is on July 25, when a commemorative celebration is held.
The original church was built in the 6th century and is 170 m above sea level. This can be substantiated by the semicircular arch constructed above the doorway with a stone inscription dating back to that time period. It is identical to the arched inscription in the Diocletian’s Palace in the heart of Split, with a missing section from the frontal display. A coat of arms was later carved into the mantle during the 15th century.
Holy mass is held once a year on the Madonna’s Feast Day, August 5, as well as Easter Monday, when the springtime fields are blessed for prosperity.
St. John the Baptist Church is located in close vicinity to the castle, at the Stjepan Radić Square in Marina. It was probably built at the same time as the castle and the „“citadel“ – or defense wall – in 1495 or a bit later. Built in the Gothic-Renaissance style, a clock was later added to the church’s facade, blending in well with the architecture of the surrounding buildings. A large stone baptistery is located inside the church within a concave niche and a stone arch, on the right hand side of the entrance. Holy mass is held each year on July 26, the celebratory feast day of St. John the Baptist.
This church is located on manicured park ground on the road to Trogir. Its roughcast exterior shows appearance, a round window above the doorpost and a small rock with a single bell. According to records dating back to the 18th century, the church had an outer baptistery, and was surrounded by monumental medieval tombstones called “stećci” which were used to adorn gravesites from the 14th to 16th century. Glagolitic monks were its caretakers. Paved in the 17th century, its interior is graced by the works of Master Cavalieri. Holy mass is no longer celebrated there.
Pozorac is one of the oldest villages in the hilly exterior, with a medieval church of Our Lady of the Angels built with an accompanying graveyard. It was completely renovated in 1789, as evidenced on the church doorpost. Due to recent modifications, this church has been restored to its original condition and preserved from certain ruin. Holy mass is celebrated on August 2, the feast day of Our Lady of the Angels as well as the commemoration of General Andrija Matijaš Pauk’s death.
The Marina hinterland is a very fertile agricultural area and was the reason behind many major feudal battles. Here is a small medieval church and adjacent graveyard on a hill within the village of Svinca. During the 18th century, it was dedicated to St. Catherine, but later St. George became its patron saint. Holy mass is celebrated at 12 noon on the first Sunday of the month and on St. George’s feast day, April 23rd.
The bishop of Šibenik Josip Arnerić made an agreement with then-pastor don Nikola Dragičević to buy a plot land at Gorač to build a church. The church was then dedicated to St. Joseph.
Due to the inherent danger of collapsing, pastor Dragičević and the two congregations of Vrsine and Poljica began a thorough and speedy renewal of the church and its surrounding area. With a spirit of determination and unity, he church’s renovations were mainly financed through the contributions of the congregation and volunteered work force by the residents of both Poljica and Vrsine.
The overall construction lasted for several months and on July 25, 2011 a rechristening ceremony of the newly renovated church was held, which came to be known as the “Dove of Gorač“. Mass is held on the second and fourth Sundays of the month and on major holidays.
St. Luke’s Church is in the village of Poljica. The village was initially known as Rastinić, first mentioned in the first half of the 13th century, in a trust deed. The heirs of a certain Vitača were donating land for St. Dominus and St. Nicholas’s monastery. Unfortunately, the exact year of construction is unknown. Above the door lies a carved stone plate inscribed with the coat of arms of the Sobota family from Trogir. St Luke’s has a massive stone altar in its apse. Although it was renovated in 1996, underlying Gothic features originating from the 13th or 14th century, are still plainly visible. Holy mass is held regularly every third Sunday of the month.
According to an orally transmitted legend, a tower in Poljica sank into the sea, and its stone dyke remaining visible to this day. This popular spot is known as Muline. Another legend claims that five nuns from St. Nicholas’s monastery (formerly St. Domnius’s) jumped into the sea while fleeing the Turks. They jumped from a cliff at the eastern section of the Poljica Bay, still known as Koludraški Krug or Koludrovac. Allegedly only one – Jela – survived, because she knew how to swim, and managing to reach the opposite shore. (Source: “Vinišćarski Zbornik III“)
St. Vitus’s Church is situated on southern slopes of Sevid and is dedicated to St. Vitus, which is how Sevid got its name. The village is first mentioned in the 13th century, Some church originated ruins may be found on the site, and it is believed that the neighboring fences were also made from church stone. The renewal of St. Vitus’s Church is an ongoing restoration project.
The Tower of Marina is one of the town’s most distinctive landmarks. It was built by the Venetians as a defensive tower in case of land or sea invasion during the 15th century. It was later enlarged with a castle and city walls surrounding the entire settlement to protect its inhabitants from the encroaching Turkish army. For a period of time, the Tower of Marina was used by Bishop Franjo Marcello as a summertime villa. It has been recently converted into a four-star hotel. Today it is undoubtedly the brightest jewel in the crown of Marina’s cultural heritage site offerings.
This church was built in the 9th century. It is surrounded by a cemetery with “stećci”, or monumental medieval tombstones, as well as old headstones from an earlier time. An Early Croatian necropolis was discovered on the premises in 2000.
West of the Drid Hill, 2 km away from the Marina parish church and in the middle of the Pliće slope (210 m) the St. James’ cave. Its dimensions are 60 m deep and 10 m wide. It is located near the unexplored ruins of the ancient town of Bausione, the foundation of the Marina settlement. . Holy mass and a pilgrimage to the slope of Pliće is traditionally held on May 1, although Sts. Philip and James are annually celebrated on May 3.
St. Anthony’s Chapel in Gustirna
St. John the Apostle Chapel in Gustirna
St. Joseph’s Chapel in Najevi
St. Domenica’s Chapel on Krivotna
St. John the Baptist Chapel on Vrsine
St. Lucy’s Chapel in Najevi
Our Lady of Good Health Chapel in Gustirna
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church